Road Transport Owner’s Chairman Killed In Ekiti By Member

Mr. Ojo Ogunsakin, the Deputy Chairman of the Road Transport Employers’ Association of Nigeria (RTEAN), Akure Branch in Ado-Ekiti has been killed by a member of the union over internal crisis within the union.‬
‪Ogunsakin died on Sunday having  allegedly sustained head injury inflicted on him by a Unit Chairman of the branch  popularly called Adeco.‬
‪However, the branch has been closed down on the order of the Police Commissioner ,Mr. Abdullahi Chafe while heavily armed policemen have been stationed in the motor park to prevent further crisis.‬
‪Members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) who were within the premises were not allowed entry into the motor park.‬
‪Meanwhile, remains of the deceased had been deposited in the morgue of Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, while the culprit had been arrested and detained at the police headquarters in Ado-Ekiti.‬
‪Those loyal to Ogunsakin had embarked on a violent protest Monday over the death of their boss and this led to the temporary closure of the park by the police.‬
‪Narrating how the internal crisis began, the RTEAN State Chairman, Com. Samuel Agbede told newsmen in Ado-Ekiti on Monday that the deceased had disbanded the executive being chaired by Adeco over offences bordering on ‘corruption, autocratic tendencies and high handedness’, which he said infuriated the culprit.‬
‪Agbede recounted: “Adeco had been reported by members of his executive to the branch chairman that he was too autocratic to deal with. They also accused him of corruption. The branch EXCO had sat on this case three times where he was warned to retrace his steps and work in line with our constitution.‬
‪“Last Friday when this case was brought again for the fourth time, the branch Exco resolved that the unit Exco should be dissolved. The deceased was one of those who supported the idea to curb Adeco’s excesses.‬
‪“It was after this that he started threatening to deal with the late Ogunsakin and hot argument ensued. As they were arguing,  Adeco just lifted a big stone and ran after the deceased and hit him in the head and he fell immediately.‬
‪“He was first taken to Assumpta Hospital where he was referred to EKSUTH before he finally died on Sunday night”.‬
‪The RTEAN boss pleaded with his members to be law abiding and be rest assured that justice will be done in the case.‬
‪A police source at the scene of the incident confirmed that the culprit had been taken to the police headquarters while investigation continues.‬
‪He said the motor park will be closed down indefinitely until contrary directive comes from the Police Commissioner to prevent reprisal attack.‬


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here