NUJ Demands Probe As DPO Assaults, Detains JAMZ FM GM In Ibadan


By; BAYO AKAMO, Ibadan

The Nigeria Union of Journalists, (NUJ)  Oyo State Council on Tuesday  demanded immediate probe of the assault on the General Manager of Jamz 100.1 FM in Ibadan, Mr. Tony Awobode by the Eleyele Police DPO and his men.
Oyo NUJ in a statement by its Chairman, Comrade Ademola Babalola asked the state Police Commissioner, CP Ngozi Onadeko to institute a probe into the matter with a view of getting justice for the assaulted journalist.
The NUJ strongly condemned the assault on the JAMZ 100.1 FM General Manager describing it as barbaric and uncalled for under this democratic set up in the country which stand  condemnable
According to the NUJ, the assaulted JAMZ FM General Manager while narrating his ordeal in the hands of the said DPO and his men, disclosed that ” it was a case of arbitrary use of naked power.” on an  innocent Nigerian.

The DPO was said to have severally beaten up the journalist with a reinforce of policeman from Iyaganku Police station after which they forcefully took him  away and detained him for hours in their facility.
” On Sunday at about 8:30 am – 9am, I was coming from Ring-Road axis, Liberty Stadium to be precise, headed towards Eleyele on a power bike. I was heading towards Eleyele. But there was a heavy traffic congestion at Kilometre 110, however, I managed to get to the junction of Iyaganku. I was on the left side of cars because I was going to take the left turn”, he said.
Mr Awobode added, ” in order to allow some of the bikes (okada) move so I can also have a pass of way, I tilted the power bike’s steering wheel a bit. After the passage of two to three bikes, I tried to straighten the wheel back, and while trying to do that for balance, the clutch of the bike slightly tapped the side mirror of the car beside me, no damage done at all.

“Absolutely none. And in my exact words to apologise, ‘it wasn’t intentional’ The man wound down and started raining insults with words like ‘mad’, ‘stupid’, ‘crazy’, ‘foolish’. I repeated, ‘it wasn’t intentional’. Before I knew it, he stretched his hand out of his car and held my jacket, while he continued the insults. I got pissed, so I used his exact words back on him. Then those in the car with him joined in the insult. 
“He then told them to come down and hold me, and started shouting ‘call the police. Let them arrest this man!’ He eventually managed to come down from the car, and this time grabbed my neck. I was shocked, really shocked, at how the whole situation had so fast degenerated to the point where he had to grab me by the neck.” 
The GM stressed, ” keeping my cool, I told him he could call whosoever he wants to call, I wasn’t going anywhere, however leave my neck. I was already getting chocked. While that was happening, I noticed one of the guys with him went to the power bike, and took my phone from the bike’s mount. So it was dilemma. I told the guy to please return my phone, while I was telling the man to please leave my neck. And because he wasn’t going to let go of my neck, I told him I was going to count five. I did, he still didn’t let go. Suddenly, the next thing I felt was a punch right across my face. 
“That wouldn’t have been possible if I was shielded with my helmet, but it’s modular helmet. Just so he could hear me, I had lifted the front part leaving my face exposed. As if that wasn’t enough, he still yanked off the helmet, and ran multiple blows across my face. There is a video I made to this effect. I blanked out, and the bike fell, that again leaving me with injury on my leg, which I tried avoiding— the reason I held on to the handle bar since the whole drama started. 
“Eventually, I was taken to Iyaganku Police Station with the bike, a stone-throw from the junction where the whole drama took place. It was there I got to know that he was a Divisional Police Officer, Eleyele, which even got me more perplexed,” 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here