Fire guts UCH accident and emergency ward, destroys multi-million naira building, equipment


By; BAYO AKAMO, Ibadan.
It was confusion galore on Tuesday at the University College Hospital, (UCH) Ibadan when the Multi-million naira building and equipment at its accident and emergency ward of the hospital were destroyed by fire.
New Nigerian gathered that a loud explosion from an electric spark first rocked part of the ward sending patients, their relatives and medical personnels helther skelther from and around the ward.
According to an eye witness, Mrs. Dolapo Haastrup who said she was waiting at the side of the building for a relative who was inside when the explosion occurred, “it was a loud one and I understand that it was a gas explosion”.
“We all ran away and from where I was, I saw many patients being rushed out. Some were on cruches and even beds. Relatives had to dare the consequences to enter the building and save their loved ones who were either admitted or who came for treatment at the A&E ward. I cannot say if anyone was injured in the fire, but the building is destroyed.”
Speaking on the fire incident, the UCH Public Relations Officer, Mr Deji Bobade said the fire was caused by an electric spark saying, “There was no gas explosion. An electric spark started the fire and it was huge”.
“All the patients have been evacuated safely. No one was injured in the fire. The damage is massive and with the way things are, we might have to relocate the ward to another building for now,” he said.
Mr Bobade added “it started after 4pm but fire fighters from the UCH, Federal Road Service Corp, the police and other agencies are still here. The fire has been put under control.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here