By; FUNMI OROYE ADERINTO, Kaduna
Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai of Kaduna State has said that the ruling of the Industrial Court, asking his government to stop the sack of 21,780 primary school teachers, pending the determination of the case, was too late.
El-Rufai, in an interview on a radio programme, vowed not to steal to prosecute his second term ambition.
The governor said those who took the matter to court probably didn’t tell the court about the status of the teachers.
According to him, his government sacked the teachers on November 5, adding that the government may listen to the judgment on the substantive suit.
Asked whether the court served the government the interlocutory ruling, el-Rufai said: “We have only read in the newspapers that the court has asked us to stop the sack, but they had been sacked before that ruling. Maybe those who took the matter to the court didn’t tell the court that.
“For us, we are only working on their entitlements. So, what we can listen to from the court is its judgement on the matter, which will determine whether their sack is right or wrong. But our lawyers will go to the court and argue our case.”
The governor said those opposing the sack were playing politics with the future of children of the common man, adding that their children don’t attend public schools.
He, however, vowed to keep his promise to enroll his son in a public school.