By; PATRICK TITUS, Uyo
Property valued at over five billion Naira have been consumed by fire that gutted a furniture workshop, SA Arijo Furniture located at Uruan Street by Mataima axis in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
SA Arijo is one of the known names in furniture in Uyo.
Among the items burnt, were industrial machines of different sizes and make, used in furniture making.
Eye witnesses said the fire which occurred on Wednesday evening, started from electric change-over switch and spread to the entire building which also houses the residence where the owner of workshop, Mr. Arijo lives with his family.
Nearby buildings, including Nteps Supermarket and mechanics workshop as well as broken down vehicles brought by customers for repairs were also consumed by the fire.
Although no life was lost, five persons including Mr Arijo’s children and workmen sustained some degrees of burn and were still receiving treatment at the hospital as at press time.
Combined efforts by the State Fire and Federal Fire service as well as volunteers that rushed in for rescue were futile as the fire had burnt everything down.
Meanwhile, the chairman of Uyo Local Government Council, Dr Uwemedimo Udo has deeply sympathised with all business owners who lost properties worth millions of naira in the fire incident which reportedly emanated from a furniture workshop.
The Chairman, who spoke through his SA on Media, Itoro-Etas expressed appreciation to all those who joined him at the scene till the early hours of today, playing various roles to ensure that the fire did not spread to surrounding buildings.
In this wise, he thanked fire fighters from the Federal and State Fire Service, Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem, the Secretary to State Government, Engr. Uwem Okoko, the Managing Director of Hensek Integrated Services, the Honourable Commissioner for Works and Fire Service, Prof. Eno Ibanga among others.