By; PAMELA EBOH, Awka
Five persons have allegedly been kidnapped in Nando and Igbariam, both in Anambra East Local Government Area of Anambra State.
It was gathered that the incident which happened on Saturday involved people returning from a traditional marriage in Awka, a couple riding in a Venza car and a second car witb three occupants.
The kidnappers are said to be demanding a ransom of N3 million.
According to an eye witness who gave his name as Nwachim Okechi, they were on convoy returning from a traditional marriage in Awka when they ran into the kidnappers.
Narrating the incident, he said, “My name is Chidi Nwachim Okechi and we were coming back from the traditional wedding of our brother, Mr Gab Nwakemeze following Jim Nwobodo road through Nando – Igbariam road close to where the Civil Defence people always stay when we saw them blocking the road.
“There was this our brother from Aguleri who was driving a Venza with his wife in the car and the other vehicle behind him.Infact we were on a convoy coming home but the Venza was in front and they ran into them with the second vehicle and they got them kidnapped and took them to the bush around Igbariam farm.
“They are five in number and we had to turn back and run for our dear lives , My brothers and sisters I am alive but I don’t know what is the fate of the five people they took away.”
A source in Aguleri who spoke on condition of anonymity said that the kidnappers were heavily armed adding that they allegedly stormed some parts of Nando and Igbariam towns taking along with them unspecified number of people to an unknown destination, even while demanding the sum N3 million as ransom.
When contacted the Police Public Relations Officer DSP Tochukwu Ikenga said that so far the police is on top of the incident, adding that no death has been confirmed as against the report that four persons were killed by the suspected bandits.
However, confirmed reports have it that two victims have been rescued while manhunt continues.