EndSARS: 52-year Old Widow Petitions Murder Of Her Son By Police In A’Ibom

IGP Mohammed Adamu


A 52-year-old widow, Mrs. Promise Akpan from Nung Udo Community in Ibesikpo/Asutan Local Government’ Area of Akwa Ibom State, has cried out, saying, Police killed her son while preparing for Nigerian Defence Academy in May 2019.

She made the disclosure at the Judicial Panel of Investigation on Incidences of Police Brutality at the High Court complex on Wednesday in Uyo, the state capital.
Akpan, a retiree, said her late son, Akaniyene Akpan was shot at the market while trying to purchase footwear meant to be used in the school.  

“My husband died in 2017. It was on January 13, 2019, my son was preparing to go to Nigerian Defence Academy, he was to leave for the school on Wednesday.

“Monday of that week was the market day in our community, so my son came to me and said he did not have footwear to use when he arrived at the school and I told him that I did not have money again as nobody was there to support me and your father is late. So he told me his friend has called to give him some money for the journey.

“I told him to go and meet the friend while I was also going to meet my colleagues for assistance. So he left after finishing his food. The next moment I heard a gunshot and I became terrified, and asked myself what was going on.

 “As I was coming from Mbietebe Akpawat road, approaching the market, it was rowdy and people were running to and fro, both men and women including children. I did not know what was going on, my nephew was running behind me which I did not know until he came and caught hold of me from the back and I asked him what was going on.

“He told me to sit on his motorcycle and I continued to ask him what was happening but he forced me on the bike. He took me straight to my sister’s house where I was told that my son was killed by the police.

 The petty trader, full of tears while narrating her ordeal said the late 26-year-old son from witnesses was taken to police station there at Ibesikpo and buried, adding that since he left home she has not seen him till date.

 “I have not seen my son dead or alive since May 13th 2019. They told me that after he was murdered, police took him to their station and buried him.

“My son did not get to his friend’s destination, he stopped by the market to buy footwear where police came and shot him dead. I do not have anybody to speak for me.

However, the 7-man-panel presided over by Justice Ifiok Ukana (rtd) adjourned the case to January 21st, 2021 for continuation of hearing.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here