SOKAPU Alleges Killings Of Two By Personnel Of Operation Safe Haven

0
10


By; AMOS TAUNA, Kaduna

The Southern Kaduna People’s Union (SOKAPU), has frowned at what it called arbitrary abuse of the Nigerian Constitution following the killing of two people by alleged armed personnel of Operation Safe Heaven (OpSH), during a protest against the unwarranted curfew imposed on Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
 In a statement issued by its National Public Relations Officer, Luka Binniyat, said, “Emmanuel Nuhu 20 –  a  200 level student of Kaduna State  College of Education, Gidan Waya and his married cousin, Tina Julius 34,  married with 4 children, were buried in their separate compound homes in Fadan Karshi after a grim funeral service at the 1st ECWA Church, Fadan Karshi, Sanga Local Government Area in Southern part of Kaduna state.
“The two were shot dead last Sunday(11th October, 2020 by armed  personnel of Operation Safe Haven (OpSH) during a peaceful demonstration staged by the youths of the town against an unofficial curfew imposed over the town by OpSH made up of the military and paramilitary personnel  since June this year.”
SOKAPU explained that its findings showed that the curfew was enforced with severe brutality that spared not even elderly and respectable members of the small town who found themselves outside during the 6pm -6am curfew hours, adding that there had been no case of any breach of public peace in Fadan Karshi for years now.  
 It stated, “Fadan Karshi, a busy junction town with high commercial activities has been greatly affected by the three and half months curfew and some residents have had to leave the town out of frustration and fear.”
The statement further explained that it was based on the negative consequences of the over three months curfew that youths of the town staged a peaceful protest to the palace of the District Head of Fadan Karshi, Rev. Dr. Joel Galadima (rtd), last Sunday afternoon, calling on him to appeal to Operation Safe Heaven stationed in the area to lift the curfew.
It said that it was in the process, armed members of Operation Safe Haven appeared at the scene. “Our investigation showed that about a week earlier, Emmanuel Nuhu was severely brutalized by soldiers of the OpSH during a misunderstanding between him and some other person, after which his dad, a poor farmer, who is hardly literate, treated his son of the injuries he sustained and left the rest to God, as he narrated to SOKAPU.    “When the OpSH  arrived the scene of the peaceful demonstration, a soldier (who residents say is notorious for his brutality and can identify him any time)  sighted Emmanuel Nuhu, cocked his gun and fired at armless youth.  The bullet hit him, but he managed to make a dashed to the nearest wall.  Before he could scale the wall, another bullet got him on the leg as the youths scampered into safety in panic.
“Tina Julius, on seeing that her cousin was shot,  started screaming hysterically. This seemed to have irritated another armed OpSH personnel (a mobile police man) who also cocked his gun and shot the mother of four children in the head and  she died on the spot. Meanwhile the soldier that had earlier shot Nuhu followed him into the compound of late Silas Jamu ( over whose wall he had jumped into)  and found him helpless in the pool of his blood. He shot him again in the heart and finished him up. 
“The OpSH team then left. After their grisly murder, the youths became livid and became violent.  They burnt down the palace of the District Head and a police vehicle and mounted  roadblocks in anger, which SOKAPU does not support.”
SOKAPU further stated when they reached out to Sector Commander of Operation Safe Haven in charge of the Area, one  Major Ezeigbo,  denied that a curfew was imposed over Fadan Karshi.
He again said it was an order of restriction of movement introduced by him after he discovered that there was too much criminality in the town, according to his claims that the town was a fertile ground for criminals and there were more criminals among the youths of the town than good ones.
SOKAPU said it appreciates and acknowledges the good and risky work that Officers and men of OpSH under the command of  Major General Chukwu Emeka  are doing to secure Southern Kaduna but called on the commander of OpSH to stop his troops from the use of crude and brute force on our already traumatized communities.

The statement explained that the killings of Emmanuel Nuhu and Tina Julius must not be swept under the carpet, while calling on the Minister of Defense, Chief of Defense Staff, the Chief of Army Staff and all relevant government authorities  to immediately launch an investigation into the killings of these two people with the process and findings be made public.

SOKAPU, therefore, called on the Nigeria Human Rights Commission, Amnesty International, Civil Liberty Organization all Human Rights groups and all men and women of goodwill to show interest in this case.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here