By; BALA B. BITRUS, Minna
Ten days after the commencement of the lockdown order in Niger State and the deployment of joint security personnel on patrol across the state, the Taskforce on the Coronavirus has confirmed that it has released funds for hazard allowance to security personnel.
Security personnel involved in the enforcement exercise have been complaining over lack of motivation and incentives from the state government for those drafted to enforce the lockdown order.
Since the lockdown began and the deployment of security agents on 25th March, only once were the security personnel provided with bags of sachet water even as grumbling and disenchantment amongst enforcement personnel were audible and wide spread.
Our correspondent observed that the military had since withdrawn it’s personnel from the patrol and enforcement while allegations of extortions have trailed the conducts of some of the policemen on patrol.
The state police command however refuted the allegations against it’s personnel, insisting that the allegations were spurious since no official report had been lodged by any citizen.
But Chairman of the Taskforce and Secretary to Niger State Government, Ahmed Ibrahim Matane on Friday, while speaking on a radio programme on the progress of his committee, said that the Taskforce has heard such complaints.
Matane disclosed that the state governor had directed the release of funds for the security personnel engaged to enforce the restriction order adding that by this Saturday, (4/4/2020) all the security agencies whose personnel were involved in the enforcement exercise would receive their share of the allowance.
Meanwhile the commissioner of police, Niger state command, Adamu Usman has issued warning to all men and officers of the command involved in the stay at home enforcement order against harassment and all uncivil conducts against citizens in the course of the enforcement across the state.
The command’s Police Public Relations Officer, (PPRO) Assistant Superintendent of Police, (ASP) Wasiu Abiodun who conveyed his Boss’ warning via the radio programme, said the warning was a directive from the police high command in Abuja to all police commands across the country.
Since the lockdown began, complaints from citizens have increased over police brutality as defaulters of the stay at home order narrated varied ordeals from the hands of police men on patrol.
Journalists covering the lockdown and monitoring developments on the Coronavirus in the state have also had near fracas with with police men on patrol.