Teenage Girls Freed From Abduction Relocate From North

Northern Governors at their meeting held at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, Kaduna on March 1, 2018. Photo: BASHIR BELLO DOLLARS
”Once beaten, twice wiser” is a popular saying. Ndubuisi Sunday, the benefactor of the two teenage Igbo girls kidnapped in Gwada area of Shiroro council area of Niger state in April this year but recovered by the Police last Tuesday has aptly given credence to the axiom.
Ndubuisi Sunday said he has not only been brow-beaten but shaken to his marrow by the incidence and the narrow escape of the girls. He said he is now well beaten and is weary of another kidnap.
The kidnapped victims who were rescued from captivity on 28th July and handed over to the Igbo community leader in Niger state, Chief Eze Pampas Ngozi Wahiwe last Tuesday in Minna by the Niger state Police command are now back in their home village.
Soon after he regained custody of the two girls, Miracle Nweke and Okwudiri Nwodo, (both of them 16 years) who had spent 94 days in captivity in the den of a fundamentalist group, Ndubuisi decided to be twice wiser by immediately returning the girls to his country home in Enugu state for fear of a repeat.
The girls were wooed into a booby trap by one Shamsudeen Bashir, a 29 year old man of Dawakin Angwan Jekada area of Suleja  and taken to Suleja from Gwada on 28th April this year.
Shamsudeen Bashir on getting to Suleja with the girls, transfered them to Habib Madaki, a chieftain of an Islamic group based in Suleja.
The group, the Association for the Enhancement of Muslim Welfare, a relatively unknown Islamic group, kept the girls under hooded cover for 94 days during which time the girls’ name were changed and rechristened as Khadijat and Aisha by the Islamic group after they were earlier converted to the religion of Islam.
The girls were on the verge of being married out to some suitors when the bubble was busted by the Police anti kidnapping squad of the Niger state Police command following complaints lodged by Ndubuisi Sunday.
The girls were rescued from their captivity and brought to Minna. The Ndigbo, the Pan Igbo cultural group in Niger state which was at the helm of the push to get the abducted girls released, was at hand at the Police command to receive the girls on behalf of Ndubuisi Sunday.
Having secured their release and handed over to Ndubuisi, the Igbo community leader and Ndubuisi along with the girls were said to have met with the Igbo community leaders on the safety of the girls.
Ndubuisi Sunday must have acted wisely as advised by returning the girls back to the east for security reasons and the future of the girls; no thanks to the sad experience they had gone through.
Ndubuisi who has returned from the east where he reunited the girls with their families, said in an interview that the freed girls were now in the safe hands of their parents.
He commended the media, the Police and the Ohaneze, Igbo community, in the state for their solidarity, efforts and commitment towards the release of the girls.
He said peace has returned to the hearts of parents of the girls, their communities and all well wishers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here