FG verifies claims of would-be suicide bomber

0
698

By; Sunday Ode, Abuja.

The Nigerian government is arranging to send some members of the Chibok community to neighbouring Cameroon, in order to verify whether a female suicide bomber arrested in Borno state on Friday is one of the missing schoolgirls abducted in Chibok almost two years ago.

A statement on Saturday by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, said that the Minister of Women Affairs, Senator Aisha Alhassan and Nigerian High Commissioner in Cameroon have already swung into action and are receiving a lot of cooperation from the Cameroonian authorities.

It has been confirmed that one of two girls is claiming to be among the girls stolen from Chibok on April 14 last year, although doubts have crept into the claim following fresh information from Cameroon that the two girls aged about ten years.

One of the two is also believed to be heavily drugged and therefore not in full control of her senses.

Malam Garba said that the Nigerian High Commissioner in Cameroon, Ambassador Hadiza Zakari Mustapha had confirmed that the arrested girls may be brought to the Capital, Younde by Monday, at which point the High Commission will seek permission to meet with them.

The Murtala Mohammed Foundation has offered to cooperate with Nigeriaan government in sponsoring two parents from Chibok who have been selected to embark on the trip to Cameroon. The two are Yakubu Nkeki, Chairman of the Parents of the Abducted Girls from Chibok association, and Yana Galang, the group’s women leader, Shehu noted.

The Nigerian High Commission will receive the two and will facilitate their access to the two girls once permission to meet and verify their identity is obtained from the Cameroonian authorities, he further noted inthe statement.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here