By; Mohammad Ibrahim, Kaduna.
Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), known as Shi’ites legal team Tuesday said it will withdraw completely from appearing before the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up to look into the clash between the members of the movement and Nigerian Army in Zaria last December.
The legal team led by Barrister Festus Okoye disclosed this during a news briefing in Kaduna.
According to him, the legal team’s several efforts to meet with the movement leader met brick walls.
He said so far the team cannot continue to represent a client that they are not aware if he is alive or dead and not sure of his state of health considering the fact that he was shot severally by the Nigerian military before he was taken away.
“The legal team of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria will not be used and will not allow itself to be used to legitimize a pre-determined position and agenda against the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria and the Islamic Movement in Nigeria.
“The legal team thought it could lend its support to the movement to tell the Nigerian public and the international community its own version of the events of the 12th to 14th of December 2015, but all efforts aimed at getting proper briefing from the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria met a brick wall.
“The legal team has resolved that in the light of the realities of lack of access, briefing and representation for the movement, the most honorable thing to do is to withdraw completely from appearance before the commission in whatever form and manner and to cease any form of representation in whatever form or manner for the movement.
“The Islamic Movement in Nigeria believes that the Nigerian people are entitled to know the truth of what happened in Zaria and Kaduna and will explore alternative means and avenues of letting the Nigerian people know the truth of what happened,” Bar. Okoye stated.