Sodomy: KNSG shuts down College… sets up Cmmt’ to investigate

0
472

Sodomy: KNSG shuts down College… sets up Cmmt’ to investigate

lamaragarba@yahoo.com 

From: LAMARA GARBA AZARE, Kano

Following allegation of the cases of sodomy in a private boarding Secondary School in Kano, the State Government has directed for the immediate closure of the school.

In the same vein, Government yesterday set up a 14 man Committee to investigate the matter and report back for appropriate action.

Acting Governor of the State, Professor Hafiz Abubakar, who gave the directives, said the action became necessary with a view to ascertaining the truth and punish whoever is found involve.

“His Excellency the acting governor of Kano State Prof Hafiz Abubakar has directed Private and voluntary schools Board to close down Hassan Ibrahim Gwarzo Boys College with immediate effect over recent report of sodomy”.

The 14-man committee headed by Professor Abubakar Mustapha was given two weeks within which to investigate the matter and submit its report.

New Nigerian reports that there was panic Thursday at Hassan Ibrahim Gwarzo Boarding Secondary School, Kano, since the allegation of sexual assault on the students of the school by some unidentified persons was first aired by a private radio station in its magazine programme about two days back.

According to a report aired by the private radio (name withheld) on Wednesday, some students of the school were reportedly said to have been carnally abused by unknown night marauders.

But the proprietor of the school, Professor Ibrahim Ayagi, described the report as work of some mischief makers, who were determined to destroy the good image of the school.

Although he confirmed that about five Junior students have previously complained to the school authority that an unidentified person have been making attempt to remove their trousers at night but quickly disappeared on realising that the students were about to raise alarm.

He said when the principal took the matter befor him, he directed that every JSS 1 student should be attached to a prefect as a temporary measure of preventing re-occurrence of such incidence.

But one of the allegedly assaulted boys (name withheld), whose voice was aired by the radio station, confirmed that he was sexually harassed by an unidentified person who covered his mouth and forcefully sodomised him.

The student further confirmed that another JSS 3 student also informed him that somebody has been assaulting him sexually since his first year in the school.

A mother who spoke to newsmen, said that her children, JSS 1 and SS3 students, have confirmed to her that cases of sexual harassment do happened in the school.
She said: “I will not take away my children from the school because such cases do happen in most schools including day schools and I don’t want to run away from bad to worst. I will rather leave them here and continue to pray for them.”

Also another mother who visited the school yesterday said, she was not comfortable leaving her child in that school. “From what I observed the school authority is hiding something and only investigation can unveil the truth of the matter.” She opined.

She therefore called on government and the Police to conduct thorough investigation on the matter with a view to salvaging the students, parents and even the school authority by revealing the truth of the whole issue.

When asked on the action the management of the school will take, Prof. Ayagi, said he will not let the matter die just like that, noting that “I am compiling my facts and I will take legal action on whoever is found to be an architect of this fabricated rumour. I am suspecting one of the parents to be the architect of this false information.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relation Officer, Kano State Command, ASP Magaji Musa Majia, confirmed that somebody who claimed to have a son in the school reported to the police that his son was sexually assaulted in school during the night hours.

Majia said; “we have taken the boy to Nassarawa hospital to ascertain his claim scientifically and we are still waiting for the medical report from the hospital.”

Meanwhile, he said the Police Commissioner, Alhaji Muhammad Musa Katsina, has directed for the transfer of the case to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for further and thorough investigation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here