Commissioner for Health and Health Services in the state, Dr. Mustapha Mohammed Jibrin disclosed this to newsmen in Minna on Wednesday.
The state government according to the commissioner was doing everything to curb the spread of the disease. He said the N25 million provided by the state government was to be used for the purchase of the required drugs to fight the outbreak.
He said the “state government had sent a rapid response clinical team to assist in the management of the outbreak. In addition to this, another team has also been dispatched to the affected councils for an on-the-spot assessment and active case search” to nip in the bud any potential threat.
He said “Niger state was collaborating with the World Health Organisation, (WHO) and the United Nations International Children Education Fund, (UNICEF) to ensure an immediate end to the spread of the disease. He said experts were already taking samples from the patients and environments to confirm the causative organism”.
Dr. Jibrin further hinted that so far, twenty states in the country and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja have reported similar cholera outbreak this year with more than 6,850 cases and 97 deaths from the affected states including Niger.
The Commissioner who however called on Nigerlites to strictly observe good personal hygiene, cautioned against self medication or patronizing quacks and medicine vendors.